Available Equipmentrhd instruments offers a fully-equipped laboratory with the following features
- Fume-hood for safe handling of volatile substances
- Argon glove-box for handling air- and moisture sensitive samples
- Samples can be stored refrigerated in the glove-box
- The full sortiment of rhd measuring cell solutions
- Handling of every sample typ, e.g. liquid, solid or polymers
- Temperature Range -40 °C - 100 °C
- Option for high-temperature measurements
- Metrohm Autolab Potentiostat & Impedance Analyzer
- dc-voltage range: -10 V - +10 V
- Maximum Current: 2 A
- Frequency Range: 1MHz - 10 µHz
- Max. ac-amplitude: 350 mV (rms)
- Struers Polishing & Lapping machine
Determination of the dc-Ion-Conductivty
Based on you individual requirements, we could perform impedance measurements (2-electrode configuration) for your samples to determine the dc-ion conductivity or the total conductivity for mixed conductors. The accessible conductivity range is 0.5 mS/cm to 1 nS/cm. The sample temperature can be adjusted to values ranging from -40 °C to +100 °C (on demand: +130 °C).
In case of liquid samples, 1 mL per measurement is required. In case of polymeric or solid samples, disc-like, plane parallel specimens with a diameter less than 12 mm would be perfect.
A report will be created containing detailled information about the experimental procedure and an overview of the resulting values including a statistical treatment if applicable.
Determination of the MacMullin-Number
The MacMullin number is a measure for the reduction in ion-conductivity in a separator due to tortuosity.
For a typical service measurement of this type you provide us with the separator materials and/or electrolytes under test. Depending on your outline we will then perform measurements of both the neat electrolyte and the separator soaked with the same electrolyte. The measurements can be performed at multiple temperatures and with variable number of separators stacked ontop of each other. From the relation between neat electrolyte conductivty and separator conductivity the MacMullin number is calculated.
The report with contain all fully analyzed measurement results, including raw values and relevant plots. We will also provide a brief discussion of the results.